Monday, April 25, 2011

paris gray ~ aged to perfection

This piece was a craigslist find.  I knew I really loved it when I was willing to lug it down 2 flights of stairs.



Before.  I would have stripped it & restained but the wood was in horrible condition.  I'm mad at myself that I didn't take a picture after I had filled all of the holes, scratches & chips in the veneer.  The piece was polka-dotted after that.


I painted it with… what else?  Chalk paint.  Paris Grey to be specific.

I did a whole term-paper-type post on chalk paint here if you missed it!


I then painted tobacco glaze into the details and wiped it off.


I had a specific look in mind that I was going for.  I saw something recently that inspired me ~  a very old, very aged piece.  I really went through a lot of options in my head regarding how to get that 'perfectly aged' look on this piece.  I really wanted the yellowing and finally it came to me.  Polyacrylic!

How many of us have ruined a perfectly painted piece of furniture with poly, when it yellowed after being applied?  Well, that is the look I was going for, so I went for it.  My only concern was that the paint color was too dark for the yellowing to show.  Not to worry!  In fact, as I was applying it, it was yellowing so quickly that I got a bit nervous.



But I am very happy with the final result.



The top drawer is made of different wood than the rest of the piece, so it accepted the paint & finish differently.  Oh well.


Loving it!

I'll be out the rest of the week ~ we have the annual Artist Market at our school (my favorite time of year!) which will keep me busy through Saturday night.  I'll post more about it so you locals can come.   I'd love to see you there!

thanks!
kathie


linking to these great parties:
Centsational Girl's Paint Projects
Redoux's Friday Redoux
Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Feature Friday
My repurposed Life's Catch as Catch Can
Blue Cricket Design's Show & Tell Wednesday
Domestically Speaking's Power of Paint Party
Primitive & Proper's Piece of Work Wednesdays
The Shabby Chic Cottage's Transformation Thursday
Savvy Southern Style Wow Us Wednesdays
Mama Hen's WOW Wednesdays
Remodelaholic's Anonymous 

9 comments:

  1. how adorable! love the size and shape of this one, and that finish is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cannot wait to try chalk paint. y'all are whipping out the projects and im getting twitchy to do my own.

    looks great again paint-chip(man)
    thats your new nickname. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, most definitely aged to perfection! Wish I were a local so I could come by and say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you made the carvings stand out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It‘s so nice that I found your blog about your link on Blue Cricket Design. Of course I’ve scrolled a little and like what I see. Now I’m your new follower! ;)

    Take care
    Tine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the details on this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! you were right-- the exact same dresser!! haha :) great minds think alike!! thank you for sharing and leaving a comment on my blog!

    -Bonnie

    http://bonniegetchell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete