Saturday, August 20, 2011

gorgeous


I've had this piece for ages.  So long, in fact, that I almost couldn't find the 'before' picture.  It is a find from the North Fulton Community Center Thrift Store.  If you live in Atlanta, this place is worth the trip.  It is in the Roswell/Alpharetta area and although their furniture selection is not huge, they always seems to have some really good pieces to choose from.  I often leave there with two huge pieces wedged in the back of my SUV.

Before:

I painted it in ASCP Old White.  Once again, I wished I had primed it first… will I ever learn??  It just takes a lot of Old White to cover darker woods.  But I'm thrilled with the outcome so I guess it was worth all that paint!

After:








The hardware is mixed.  The handles are heavy iron.  The pulls on the cabinet doors are tear drops, and the glass knobs were once pewter at the base… I really really wanted to do glass on these tiny drawers (you know when you get your heart set on something, and you can't see past it?!) but couldn't find any glass that wasn't brass or silver on the base.  So, I painted them with Oil Rubbed Bronze spray (I sprayed it into a cup and used a piantbrush to paint them).


I am LOVING it in my dining room but might get the nerve up to sell it one of these days!

thanks for coming by!
kathie


linking to these great parties:
Restore Interiors Restored It Wednesday
Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Feature Friday
My repurposed Life's Catch as Catch Can
Primitive & Proper's Piece of Work Wednesdays
Perfectly Imperfect's All things Furniture
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia's Tuesday's Treasures

17 comments:

  1. ooh yes! i love that piece- the little drawers and all the hardware is awesome! :) i love your curtains, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful. The hardware you chose is perfection. These old buffet pieces with all the 'dented' wood edges always come out so nice after painting and distressing. I had done one similar a couple years ago and had a very hard time parting with it. Like yours it was a thrifty $25 (half price day) at our Salvation Army.

    LOVE those glass knobs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathie- I am glad to know that about priming before using the chalk paint (for the darker pieces). I am going to give it my first shot this next week. Your piece turned out great~ xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty Kathie! I agree about priming first. sometimes I just feel like I'm using up so much chalk paint and it's just so expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely! I say keep it until you find something better...if you never do, it gets to stay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was beginning to think that I was painting incorrectly, because I have had to put 3 coats of the Old White chalk paint on each of the two dark wooden pieces that I've painted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a fabulous piece! love the white with the knobs you chose, perfection!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE all the stuff u do. That buffet from a few posts back is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the first I've heard about painting before chalk board paint... I haven't gotten the nerve to try it yet, but isn't the point of the chalk board paint to NOT have to sand or primer?
    PS - LOVE THIS! I was searching for something similar forever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great piece of furniture. The storage and configuration is amazing! I like your color choice. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. THAT INSPIRES ME TO KEEP LOOKING FOR A BIG HUNKIN PIECE OF SOMETHING. YUMMY11111

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great piece and you certainly made it look up to date with your AS paint products. Looks like it has lots of great room for storage. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sideboard is just beautiful! I hope to find something like this for my new breakfast area.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the two types of hardware really turned out great. They are so different but look fab:)

    ReplyDelete