Wednesday, October 20, 2010

chairs, gifts & a baby carriage (but not for me!)

This picture calms me.  Because until now, when I thought about these chairs, all I could think of was this.
Uhm, you don't want to sit on that, do you?

So I primed & painted these chairs, distressed & sealed the wood, and recovered the seats.

Much, much better now.  See?










And I love them.  It is making me slightly crazy, though, that there are only 3.  If I had know how crazy it would make me, I might not even have bought them.  Oh, well.  I do love them!

I got some adorable baby gifts in the mail today!  They are for a dear friend who has a new baby boy & an adorable big brother (sorry to spoil the surprise if you're reading this C, but I had to share the cuteness!).


These precious pails & tee came from a wonderful college friend.  Caroline & I went to Vanderbilt together and were sorority sisters.  She started this amazing company that you have to check out, the Little Cupcakes Company.   She has some of the most original & unique, high quality & fun baby gifts as well as apparel & gifts for adults & homes, too.  Even wedding gifts!

C ~ there is more coming for you & your boys, so the surprise isn't totally spoiled :)

So I was at My Favorite Place today in Chamblee and I spotted something that I knew, in an instant, my friend Elizabeth had to have.  I took a picture and sent it to her from my Iphone and got a reply almost immediately.  "YES YES YES, I want it!!"  So, I got it!  Elizabeth is an incredible photographer (her company is Libbie Wicket) and she is especially talented with newborns & children.  Look what I found...






Isn't it so fabulous?!

And, because I haven't posted enough pictures here yet (ha!) here are the other treasures that I brought home today...




A sideboard (with a fully lined silver drawer in perfect condition) & a glass door bookcase (is there a name for those?!).  It is solid oak (except for the cheap faux oak backing, which will be out for the trash soon).

AND I finally recovered my dining room chairs.

Before


After

My mom said "Why would you recover these chairs?  There is nothing wrong with them!".  Well, she was right, there was nothing wrong with them.  Except for the fact that I didn't like them!  But they are done now and I am happy.

Thanks for visiting!  The blog is up to 263 followers (WOW!) and there will be another giveaway if & when we hit 300, so start sharing your ideas with me about the giveaway!

Kathie

P.S.  The stereo cabinet still isn't finished.  If you don't hear from me for a few days, it is because I have been committed.  The lingering-unfinished-project-anxiety is almost too much to take.

Linking to:
Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Feature Friday
My repurposed Life's Catch as Catch Can
Cassie's Primitive & Proper Piece of Work Wednesday
Domestically Speaking's Power of Paint Party
Shabby Chic Cottage's Transformation Thursday

18 comments:

  1. Hi Kathie ...I've noticed that when you recover something, you go for really fun fabric. Not the traditional floral or stripes but something out of the ordinary. I like that ~ very original. Your chairs turned out beautifully and I can see why you love them! I do too! Great old baby carriage ~ your friend should have some fun with that. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those chairs turned out so nicely! the fabric is so grown up and fun at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the best! Something for you and something for me! Thanks so much for thinking about me and good thing I check e-mail just about every 30 minutes during the work day. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathie: Those oak cabinets are old fashioned bookshelves that lawyers used to use . . . we have two sets in our house (well, basement actually) in desperate need of your help. Can't wait to see what you do with them. They may just have to make a return trip with my parents! Always enjoy your blog. Do you read Cote de Texas? I feel like your fabrics were all profiled on her blog recently. Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe those bookcases are often called Barrister bookcases or lawyers bookcases as Dodie said. They are pretty neat especially ones that have a tiny plaque of where they use to belong. This weekend I saw one that had a small, stamped, plaque that read "U.S. Department of State". I often see them on DC's craigslist. Your transformations are great! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, y'all! Glad to have a lawyer in the house :) Ruth, I would love it if my "Barrister" bookcase had a stamp or a plaque but I haven't found anything yet.

    Dodie~ I am sure your parents would be happy to drive some furniture back to Atlanta for you (laughing to myself)! Hey, it would give them another excuse to see their gorgeous grandsons, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great, Kathie! I love your work, it's so beautiful! And those baby gifts are PRECIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure can knock em out, girl! And very well, I might add :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a productive time yo have been having! I love the chairs and you made some fabulous finds too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmmm I could comment all day.... THOSE chairs are also sitting on my front porch! LOL! You'll see them soon... Your chairs look amazing! Love them! Love the finds, and that is a Barrister bookcase :) I have an antique one that was my grandmother's from around 1915.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some more good things happening over here! You amaze me with all that you have going right now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the chair color and the fun fabric you used. Great choice for them! And you did a really nice job with the distressing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my, you're a busy bee! You did a great job on your dining room chairs.
    love the bookcases and the carriage.
    have a great weekend!
    thanks for linking up and linking back
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are one busy woman! Thanks for linking up you are always so good to spread the love! I am seriously in lust with that baby carriage.

    Love your guts
    mandi

    ReplyDelete
  15. K you found some awesome finds. I'm extremely jealous of your chairs and side board though. Love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! You are one busy lady! Those chairs took me waaay back - I won't say how many years, lol. Well, okay, to MY grandmother, who passed in the '80's, and now I'M a grandmother!

    But you brought them right into the future. And I totally get the 3/thing. But they're worth it . . . now!

    Would love for you to link up to Passion for Paint this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your chairs look fabulous! I heart your blog!

    ReplyDelete