Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Progress & some amazing finds

So, I am still not finished with that stereo cabinet!  It is driving me nuts!  But I want it to be perfect and that takes time so I'm trying to be a little more patient with myself.  I've made a lot of progress on it though, so here goes...

The pictures will take you through the progression of where we started, where we've been & where we are tonight :)










See?  Better, right?  We (I say "we" because my dad is helping me!) still need to rebuild the inside of the piece and attach the new top that will be on hinges.  It is turning out even better than I had hoped, so I am thrilled!

Today was a huge day for 'finds'.  The first was compliments of my neighbor/scouter (I've got to come up with a better name for her, that is getting cumbersome!).  She spotted this table at our favorite thrift store.  When she called, I was about 10 minutes away, but she held on to the piece until I could get there.  I was so excited because it was so much like what a friend of mine has been looking for to go on her screened porch.
You can't tell from the picture but it is 5 1/2 feet wide!  It is also HEAVY!  It is only 16 in. deep at the thickest part (in the middle) so it is perfect for a buffet table, which is what I think she wants it for.  I sent her an iphone picture and she said "yes!  I want it!"  So it is already spoken for.

Other finds... my scouter found an awesome headboard that will make a great bench!  She went ahead & bought it without me (I totally trust her with things like this!) but then we went back to My Favorite Place to see what else they had.  Would you believe I picked out a chest & dresser that I wanted to purchase, and it turns out that they were part of the set with the bed she had bought an hour prior?!  So funny!
Sorry, the dresser picture is off, since it is standing on it's side right now :)  The dresser is also already spoken for.  My sister-in-law has been looking for a piece like this and I am excited to finish it to coordinate with some other things she already has in their home.
Aren't these pieces great?  This chest has two doors on top that open to reveal 3 great drawers.  You can also see the headboard in this picture, although I didn't get a great picture of it by itself.
I bought this fabulous formica-topped table.  What, you don't like it?

Ha!  It was $4.99 and it had the greatest solid wood legs.  So really I bought the legs for $4.99.  The tabletop is worthless.  Anyone want it?
Love those legs!
The dresser also came with this pair of mirrors, which I am seeing as chalkboards with red frames.  What do you think?

Ok, enough about that for today.  Hopefully, tomorrow I will have some things that are actually finished to show you :)  But now, more about the giveaway!

My friend Becky has a new blog called Kings Down Road & a new Etsy store (also called Kings Down Road), both celebrating her love of all things vintage.  She has so generously offered to give the lucky winner $50 credit at her etsy store!!  Thank you, Becky!

In addition, I'm adding something to the package... a $50 visa card.  So, the lucky winner will get $50 in awesome vintage goodies AND $50 to play with (my mother-in-law calls it "mad money" and I love that).


What do you have to do to win?  There are several ways to get yourself entered into the giveaway (sorry for the terrible grammar, Betsy B!)...

*Become a follower of the blog!  If you're a follower, you automatically get one entry.  Thats one chance out of 209 at this moment.

*For an EXTRA entry, go to Becky's etsy shop & let me know what your favorite piece is by leaving me a comment here.  Make sure to check out the incredible Gucci salt & pepper shakers :)

*For a THIRD entry, go to Becky's blog and leave her a comment that you've come visiting from A Few Good Pieces.

Phew!  I'll leave the Giveaway up until Friday of this week, October 15, at midnight.  And I'll try to remind you as we go through the week!


Thanks for coming by!!
Kathie

11 comments:

  1. Great finds! That stereo cabinet is coming along nicely, I will be eagerly awaiting updates on all of your projects.
    P.S.~ wish I had a scouter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stereo cabinet is looking good! ... Visted Becky's Etsy shop and love the vintage fan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a new follower and I love the old GE fan in Becky's Etsy Shop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am follower 246!!I WOULD LOVE to win this!!!Wow,that would be better then wonderful! thanks so much for the chance and thanks to your sweet friend BECKY too
    jacksoncrisman@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hand painted owl is super cute but my most favorite is Vintage round glass silhouette picture!!I love it!!
    jacksoncrisman@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I left a comment on her blog too.Thank you and have a wonderful and happy week
    jacksoncrisman@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vintage Franciscan Canton plate and teacup really caught my eye.My mom would like that,she collects cups and matching plates

    truthhole@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. commented on her Halloween post

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. very nice!!! That stereo is just turning out to be gorgeous- can't wait to see everything else too all done. You work miracles- yes, you do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The stereo cabinet looks like a fun piece! It sounds like you've had a great week for finds. :)

    Thanks for the photo session advice, btw. So glad I have a month to plan!

    ReplyDelete