Monday, October 25, 2010

the perfect piece

When I initially saw this piece at My Favorite Place, I really liked it.  I didn't love it, but I liked it.  You know the difference.

When I purchased it at the counter, two of the men working groaned.  They said "We've been dreading the day someone bought this piece, because it is heavy as *#@*!!"  This, from people who move furniture all day, every day.  Yikes!

One redeeming quality is that the piece is on it's original casters so as long as you're on level surface, you can just roll it around :)

Here's a peek, then I'll tell you how I did it.


It started like this...



 I stripped the top...




 Discovered some gorgeous woodwork (always a nice surprise!)
 Primed, filled all unnecessary holes with wood filler...


 Finished coat, ready for staining the top.  Now you can see the gorgeous wood!



 Stain before I wiped off the excess...

 First coat of stain...
Doors ready for action

And finally:
















I'm in love with it.  I really think it might be my favorite piece so far.  But I have to show you what is hiding behind behind those doors...


 Three solid drawers with the original plastic covering in them!!


 A fully lined silverware drawer in perfect condition!


A gorgeous, flawless cover on the silverware drawer!  (Don't judge the pictures, I was waiting to get the piece inside to do the deep cleaning on the inside drawers).

Sigh.  I might be able to sell this piece one day, but today is most definitely not that day :)

Thanks for visiting!
Kathie

Linking to:
Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Feature Friday
My repurposed Life's Catch as Catch Can
Hooking Up with House of Hepworths
Blue Cricket Design's Show & Tell Wednesday
Domestically Speaking's Power of Paint Party
Primitive & Proper's Piece of Work Wednesday
Sassy Sites Trash to Treasure Tuesday
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Cottage Instincts Make it 4 Monday
House of Thrifty Decor's Show Off Sunday
Stories of a House Project Diaries
Motivate me Monday at Keeping It Simple
The Shabby Chic Cottage's Transformation Thursday
Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday


The DIY Show Off

31 comments:

  1. This is a lovely piece! I hope it gets to stay home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just curious, do you ever sleep? What an absolutely breathtaking piece. I love it! The dark top is perfect, you did a great job as usual!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo.... It's gorgeous. I have a china cabinet with very similar doors waiting for it's redo...That piece looks like it found it's home :)
    I'm taking a little break this week. I REALLY overdid it....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kathie - this is gorgeous! Are you keeping this one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathie ~ this piece is stunning! You did an amazing job refinishing it and yes ~ it sure is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic!! These big ol 70's oak pieces are ALWAYS, never fail, my favorite redos. They were built to last, fo sho! I'm such a sucker for a dark stained top and painted base.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a transformation. I don't know where you get your energy but I want some!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow- you REALLY brought that piece up to date! i admit i wouldn't have looked twice at it, but it is gorgeous now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the make over. I have been looking for 3 weeks for a piece similar to this to put in my new living room. You have inspired me to keep looking. I hope you can stop by my blog and show off your project to my readers on my Show Off Sunday Party.

    http://houseofthriftydecor.blogspot.com/2010/10/show-off-sunday-party_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I would have passed on that piece, but you turned it into something amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a lot of work. It turned out very pretty. Thanks for sharing and have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. great work. it looks gorgeous. like you said, it's a perfect piece

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is a gorgeous, substantial piece. You must have been thrilled to see the pretty wood lying underneath the old stain! Thanks for linking this up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love this and how it turned out. I also love the mess I can see in your pictures. Makes me feel normal! My neighbors think I am crazy with all the stuff in my garage!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You put so much work into this, but it was worth it! It looks like it has a ton of storage too. Good call picking this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job, Kathie! I'm looking for a piece like this for the dining room & I want to finish it like this, too. Love that mirror, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the piece and the color of the wall behind it! Can I ask what paint color that is?

    ReplyDelete
  18. How amazing! Seriously it is FAB! Great work, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is beautiful! Great job refinishing this!! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a difference. You made that old heavy piece look nice and up to date.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE My Favorite Place! I lived in Buckhead for years and furnished my apt from there. Now I live in Cartersville and seldom hit it anymore. This turned out SO pretty! Great job. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! You can just package that up and deliver it to me!
    You should come link this up to my Making It With Allie Link Party! I think it would make a Fabulous addition!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a find! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love it! I just revived a dresser using black and white paint. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm in love with this piece! Great transformation! I featured you over at Sassy Sites Trash to Treasure Tuesday. Come on by and have a look! xoxo! -Marni

    ReplyDelete