Wednesday, August 11, 2010

free-to-me

Our very dear friends were getting rid of this piece... I believe it was a credenza in his office in it's previous life :) It had all the markings of a get-rid-of piece- honey finish, old brass fixtures, glossy glossy glossy.

Here it is in its former state...

I sanded the top just to see what I was working with and happily it was gorgeous! Very unique veneer and the wood is beautiful. See?
I primed & painted the rest of it, changed the hardware to oiled bronze, and put about a zillion coats of wipe on poly on the top. Now it lives in my foyer, and we are all so happy about it!
Because of the size of my foyer (small) and the strange angle, this was about the best shot I could get of the whole thing!
Ta-Da! I am so tickled with how well it turned out, and how shocked our friends were to see their reject furniture with her new look :)
For the cost breakdown of this "free" project (nothing is ever truly free, right?!):
credenza $0
new pulls $30 (bought these at home depot)
paint $10 (this is a guess- I already had the paint)
stain $2 (another guess, I only used a tiny bit!)

total: $42 (give or take a few!)

**If you're stopping by from a linky, or really from anywhere, would you pretty please take a look at my most recent post? I am in need of some advice from all of you 'experts' on a china cabinet I would like to paint. Thank you!!**


Kathie














20 comments:

  1. So gorgeous!! I love the two toned look...I recently re-did a dresser like that. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, it is so gorgeous! You did a great job on making it beautiful. I love stained wood and white paint!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I'm gearing up to do some furniture pieces myself, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks incredible!! You just inspired me to take on a bigger project:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did such an amazing job refinishing the credenza. It's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That turned out AMAZING! I love it!
    --Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, everyone!! You put a big smile on my face with your encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous piece! I think it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathie that piece is fantastic! You did such a great job! LOVE LOVE LOVING the two tone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that looks so great...makes me want to paint my buffet, right. this. second.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful! I love the two tone look. You made it look like a very high end piece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to the blog world!! I am stopping by from Furniture Feature Friday! You did a fantastic job on that free piece! I did a paint and stain combo as well and just love that look! You have a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!! Beautiful....I love the hardware you chose..this turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous piece!! Did your friends want it back after you finished it? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha! I think they did want it back, but were gracious enough to let me keep it :) They were properly stunned by it's transformation...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't hardly believe this is the same piece, what a remarkable transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great transformation! I'm sure the piece has been profusely thanking you ever since you rubbed it over and over with the poly and made it so pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete