Friday, August 20, 2010

freshened up chairs

Freshened... is that a word? Regardless, as you can see, these chairs needed some freshening! They were a goodwill find, at $8 a piece, I couldn't pass them up.


Funny story, though... they were for sale as a set, with a tile top table that I did not care for. So, I went to the cashier with my sticker and let him know that I just wanted the chairs, not the table.

His response: We can't break up the set.

Me: Oh, I understand. I'll pay the full price for the chairs, I just don't care for the table and I'd like to leave it here. So you can sell it to someone else?

Him: Let me call my manager

Manager: Sorry, we can't break up the set.

Me: I'd really only like the chairs, though. I'm happy to pay full price for the set, even without the table. Can't I just leave the table here?

Manager: Nope, sorry.

Me (after much pondering) : I have an idea! How about I'll buy the set, and then I'll donate the table back to you?!

Manager: Great idea! That will work!

Sigh...

So the chairs finally made it home with me :) I sanded/primed/painted them in a color matched to Heirloom White (trying to step away from the spray paint), and then stripped/sanded the seats. I stained those a dark walnut and put about 50 coats of poly on them. Or maybe only 7, but a lot of poly!

I love how they turned out!
I know this isn't the best picture of them, but with the garage sale tomorrow, I've literally run out of places to take a good picture! We live in a ranch, and it is literally overflowing right now up here~ the basement is emptying out, but the pictures would be even worse down there!

thanks for stopping by!
kathie

6 comments:

  1. Ha! What a funny story!
    I LOVE the 2-toned look of the chairs. Great job! They will definitely be protected with all that poly!
    I'd love it you stopped by my blog and joined my Friday link party!
    http://alittleknickknack.blogspot.com/2010/08/blog-post.html
    Have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all of your work and isn't Goodwill crazy!! I have had my own weird Goodwill stories too.
    I can't wait to see more of your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it funny how people just can't think outside the box???? That is crazy that they couldn't think of that themselves!

    Your chairs are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, y'all!! I sold the chairs today at our garage/furniture/yard sale. I am happy that the family who purchased them are neighbors so I can go 'visit' them anytime I want :) They were really happy with them, which made me feel great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG. I had to laugh at your story since the same thing happened to me at the Salvation Army a couple of weeks ago. Found an amazing mid-century modern chair with a price listed at $1 x 2. I'm dragging the chair to the front desk thinking there is another stashed somewhere, only to be informed that a really ugly big brown computer desk "goes with the chair". "Can't I just buy the chair?" I ask only to be informed that they are a "set". "Can I just take the chair and come for the desk tomorrow?" As I'm loading the chair I'm thinking there is no way I am coming back for that desk. But after contemplation and consideration of how many times I am in that store. I'm thinking it's not a good idea to alienate these people. Long story short, I sent my husband the next morning to pick up said desk from the Salvation Army and deliver it immediately to the Goodwill! BTW your chairs look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see how you couldn't leave those behind. Absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete