Thursday, September 30, 2010

a dresser & a chest but not a match :)

Do you like it?!
I LOVE it!  It is funny, because before it was painted, I didn't like it all that much.  The lines seemed a little harsh to me, and that pickled/speckled faux wood finish is just hard to look past.  But a little TLC and this dresser is ready to go!


Sanded & primed... a sea of drawers.

Hardware gets a very light coat of oil rubbed bronze, then a good wipe down.
Love, love, love!!
And yes, someone already asked... that is one of the brass lamps I got from goodwill & spray painted.  Added a new shade, and better than new!

And the canvas is by the wonderful, talented, sweet & fabulous Elizabeth Smith of Libbie Wicket Photography.  We have been blessed to have her taking our family's pictures for 5 years now ~ isn't this canvas gorgeous?  It is from our session with her this summer.  Go visit her blog, you'll be glad you did!!



This beauty was a find from My Favorite Place (name of the store, but also one of my personal favs).  I liked it so much I picked it up and carried it around with me :)

Now, there is a matching chest to the dresser.  But it is not quite finished.  Allllmost.

When my neighbor/furniture deal scouter backed into the driveway yesterday, I knew something good was coming my way.  This piece needed some serious TLC and although I liked it ok before, even I was surprised at how much I love it's transformation.

Can you see what the pulls are?  From far away they look like sailboats to me, but maybe I need to get my eyes checked.
They are ACORNS!  Not only that, they are hand-carved acorns, attached to the piece with dowels & glue.  Old School.
It needed a bit of work, as I said.  I sanded it first, but really not too much since I wanted the age to show through when I started glazing.

I managed to get not one single in-process shot of this piece, probably because it was WAY past my bedtime while I was working on it (it was after 9... if you know me well, you know that I am at least in the bed with the covers pulled up by then, if not asleep!)  So, I'll tell you what I did.

I primed the whole piece.  Then I painted it a random light blue- left over from something, I'm sure.

After the blue dried, I did a light coat of RL Tobacco glaze over the whole thing, paying special attention to the detail (the acorns & the carving across the front).  I didn't sand it at all- the chippy wood gave it lots of texture without me doing any sanding.

I used a teensy bit of English Chestnut stain after the glaze.... just a bit, but you can see where the color stands out in the final pictures.

Then I used some of this.
Metallic Pearl acrylic paint.  I really only used it on the acorns.  By the way, the acorns are hollow inside, so that you can reach your fingers into the gap underneath to use the pulls to open/close the drawers.

So....


It is the silliest piece- really, it'd be perfect in a nursery or a playroom, or a whimsical house.  It doesn't really work anywhere here at my house, I don't think, but I wish it did.  Because I LOVE it!!

Thanks for coming by, I appreciate all of you & the comments & emails you send me!!
kathie

Linking to:
Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Feature Friday
Primitive & Proper's Piece of Work Wednesday
Domestically Speaking's Power of Paint Party
Funky Junk's Saturday Night Special
Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Feature Friday
Hookin Up With HOH
The Shabby Chic Cottage's Transformation Thursday
Blue Cricket Design's Show & Tell Wednesday
Domestically Speaking's Power of Paint Party
Somewhat Simple's Strut Your Stuff Thursday
A Little Knick Knack's Everything But the Kitchen Sink

16 comments:

  1. Yes Kathie ... I LOVE it! All of it! Beautiful!
    Lisa@SuburbanRetreat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word~ acorn handles! What a find, I absolutely love that chest! You did a great job on both pieces, but I wouldn't be able to sleep for excitement over the second. I love to find something unique and different.Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these pieces turned out so nice but I especially loved the 2nd one I mean those acorn handles are incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm your newest follower! Did you hear me ooohing and aaaahing over all your FAB makeovers?!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks Great! I love it too. You do a good job on refinishing furniture...enjoy!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are on a roll girl! you are refinishing like crazy. They all look wonderful! Like I always say - cannot wait to see what is next!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! these are great! I love, love love those acorn knobs! visiting from Miss Mustard Seed

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it!! I love the acorns how original

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both pieces look really great....I love the acorn pulls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found your blog through links. Love it!
    If you would ever like to be featured on envymycooking than come check us out. All we ask is that you become a follower than email us either a recipe, a find, or a picture of your kitchen. We hope that you will let us feature you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both the makeovers are fantastic. Love the first one the best, tho the acorn handles on the chest are very cool too!
    Found you at little knick knack link party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love both pieces! They really turned out so nicely! And I've never seen those acorn pulls - very cute!

    Looking forward to checking out your blog!

    Thanks for stoppping by Elizabeth & Co.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just beautiful! I love the acorns and the pearly love you gave them. It's wonderful! Thanks for linking up to my Friday link party again! See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you know i love this one- the finish is fantastic! and i am a sucker for those acorn pulls. i can see it in a woodsy themed nursery with deer, owls and squirrel decor. it would be so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the finish of the acorn dresser. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete