Wednesday, September 8, 2010

treasures

This post is going to be all over the place.  I apologize in advance.  I'm still trying to get back into a routine since our fabulous beach vacation and it seems like every time I dive into a new project this week, I run out of something.  I feel a little senile :)

But here is what I'm up to this week... I've had several good finds.

This piece may not be talking to you, but to me it is saying "Make me into a bench for your front porch!"  I've been looking for that perfect something to put there as our old adirondack chairs are a little small on the porch.  Of course, I say that after they've been sitting in that spot for over 8 years :)  But sometimes these things just get away from us, right??  This headboard was only $19 ~ I could hardly have left it at the store for that.




This dresser might be one of the heaviest things I've ever been dumb enough to try to move by myself.  My husband wasn't home and I am not the most *patient* person when it comes to things like this.  So I thought I would just ease it back out of the suv, nice & easy, using the angle of the seat backs to help me out.  I almost ended up like a squashed bug.  Oops.  On the bright side, those extra dings it got when it hit the concrete on my driveway give it lots of character.

But I love the dresser, and I think it might have found a mate in my garage!


This hutch has been sad & lonely for long enough, don't you think??  We'll see how that goes.  Here is my progress on this project, below...





And now, for the 'treasures' of the day.  I can hardly stand it!

I've been looking for something just like these!  So when I came upon them at the Goodwill in Sandy Springs, I had to snatch them up before someone else got to them.  Can you believe it?

Incredible, right?  Aren't they perfect?

There are 26 of the small ones (about 5" X 7"), 10 of the medium ones (about 8" X 10"), and 2 of the large ones (about 11" X 14").  The best part is that the large ones have this awesome swirly paint job going on.  See?

What's that?  You don't know what they are?

Well, good.  Because I haven't got a clue either.  But the entire bundle cost me $13, whatever they are.

I would LOVE your thoughts on these :)  I have some thoughts, which of course include paint and maybe some modge podge.  But I'd love to hear what your creative minds would do with these.

Just to give you some more detail, they are some sort of wood composite, light weight, have three grooves cut out of the back for hanging on a nail (so you can do vertically either way, or horizontally) and are about an inch thick.

If I had to guess, I'd say they were dug out of an old trophy shop that closed up in the late 70's.  Maybe the lucky recipients got a plaque mounted on the flat center part??

On another note.... Don't forget about the giveaway coming up!  It might or might not involve a fabulous custom magnetic board... but you have to be a follower to get your name in the hat!!

kathie

No comments:

Post a Comment