Sunday, September 5, 2010

table & chairs

Remember this day?




I've been working hard to make this a dining room set with 8 chairs (the set we bought came with five chairs, and then I found another set of three).  I painted all 8 chairs together, and recovered the seats in matching fabric.




The bottom of the table is actually the same color as the chairs ~ they just look different because of the different light.

I did the bottom of the table first, which is unusual for me, but it seemed to work this time.  The top of the table had some damage, although you can't see it from the picture.  So, I got to work sanding (decided to skip the stripping this time, as the finish didn't seem that thick).

Down to the bare wood, on to wood conditioner & stain.


Below are pictures of the chairs with my own dining room table, which belonged originally to my husband's maternal grandmother.

Here is the table without the leaves...

And the table with the leaves, and the new 'set' of 8 chairs (two of them with arms).  I'm very pleased with how it turned out!

Thanks for visiting!
kathie


8 comments:

  1. Wow kathie that turned out gorgeous!!~ It looks fantastic in your DR. Thanks for your input....I really value everyones opinions. I can't remember my first comment to you, but I am glad it was a good one:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGoodness, your dining room set is gorgeous!!! I looove how you refinished the top! The chairs are wonderful, having two styles are so interesting and pleasing to the eye! Thanks for sharing! Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turned out awesome! Your lucky to have such a big table. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the table! I LOVE reusing furniture and giving is a do-over. I love that you mixed up the style of chairs! It gives it so much more character and not so matchy-matchy. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great! I love the table top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dining room set is gorgeous!!! You are uber-talented!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to finish the top of my table. What color stain did you use for this? What were the steps with the conditioner, stain and did you laquer it at all?

    ReplyDelete